Lilly on 3rd house questions:
Christian Astrology (CA) pp. 188-192
Lilly says that while there are many demands which may be made concerning questions to the 3rd House, the principle ones concern:
- The querent’s brethren, brothers/sisters/close relatives that aren’t parents. Is the relationship between the querent and them harmonious or not?
- What of a brother or sister who is absent? Are they alive or dead? Are they prosperous or not? Are they happy? When is the querent likely to have news of them? Are they likely to come back home, and if so, when?
- Another question covered is whether the querent will have brothers and sisters. And if so, will he get along with them?
How to judge these questions:
- If the question concerns brethren, look at L1 for the querent and L3 for the quesited. Look at the condition of both of the lords and see what condition they are in. See if there is an aspect between them and if there is, is it good or bad? In this way, one can answer the above questions.
- Also look at the concerned houses, e.g. if a malefic or the south node is places in the 1st House, it shows there are problems with the querent. If they are in the third house, then the kindred is the problem.
- To learn more about the condition of the kindred, turn the houses so that the third house represents the kindred and becomes the Ascendant or 1st house. So the radical 5th House becomes the turned or derived 2nd house, etc.
On another topic, on CA page 192-194 we cover the topic of whether a rumor be true or false.
While rumors are attributed to the third house and its Lord or Lady, Lilly has us consider the angles, the Moon and Mercury among other things; the rules are a bit complicated and often involves bringing other houses into the picture.
Reports, News, Intelligence or Fears? Are they true or false? Do they signify good or evil? (CA pg 192)
- Lilly found that during a time of war that the rumor was true IF the Moon in either H1, H3, H10, or H11 separates by a benevolent aspect from any planet, and then applying by sextile, trine or conjunction to the Lord of the Ascendant.
- However, if the Moon applied to L7 by any good aspect, enemies would have the victory.
- If the Moon was void of course, the rumor would come to nothing or be a lie or false.
- If both Moon and Mercury were square or in opposition to each other, and neither of them cast a sextile or trine to L1, the news was false.
Also, from CA page 193:
If at any time you hear some news and want to know if it is prejudicial to you…
It will not be detrimental to you if:
- Jupiter or Venus is in the Ascendant
- Or if the Moon or Mercury be in their essential dignities and in trine or sextile to L11
It will be detrimental to you (or to whom the news concerns) if:
- L6, L8, or L12 is in the first house or in bad aspect to L1.
- Or if Mars or Saturn is retrograde in H1, or in hard aspect with L1, or casting a square or opposition to the Ascendant degree.
- If Saturn signifies the mischief: country friends have been plundered, cattle stolen
- If Mars, someone has been cut off (“straggling parties”)
- Mercury: letters have miscarried.
- Jupiter or Venus (involved gentlefolk)
- Lilly says to use common sense.
If counsel or advice given is good or evil? CA pg 194
If the rumors be true or false according to the ancients:
The rumors are true if:
- Consider L1 and the Moon, if they are in an angle,
- or if the dispositor of the Moon is in an angle and in a fixed sign,
- or if any of these be in a succedent house and fixed sign,
- or in good aspect with a fortunate planet i.e. sextile or trine with Jupiter, Venus or the Sun
Judge to the contrary if:
- L1 is afflicted by Infortunes
- Or in a cadent house
even if strong in sign (essentially strong.)
Pg 194 – Rumors are for the most part true when:
- Angles in figure are in fixed signs, separating from Infortunes and applying to any fortunate planet, placed in any angle. Moon and mercury in fixed signs separating from Infortunes and in an angle.
If the Angles of H4 & H10 be fixed and the Moon received in them (i.e. the Moon is in one of those houses?)
Rumors of evil will be false or turn into good things if:
- If one hears evil or bad news yet one of the fortunes is in H1 or the Moon be unfortunate, it is a strong argument that the rumor is false, and they will turn to good rather than evil.
- If Mercury is retrograde or in any other way afflicted, or of that planet to whom the Moon applies (that it be retrograde?), or to whom Mercury applies, esp. if either of those two are lords of the Ascendant.
If L1 is under the beams of the Sun the matter shall be kept secret and few will ever know the truth of it.
Of counsel given, whether it be for good or evil.
Counsel is given with an honest heart if:
- Fortunate planet at MC or in H10 i.e. Sun, Jupiter, Venus or North node, otherwise Moon applying to L1
Counsel is given with malintent if:
- Saturn, Mars or south node in in H10.
- Also, if the Ascendant is moveable (cardinal), the person giving the counsel is deceitful or treacherous.
- By this Lilly means journey that only takes a day or so.
- Is it a good idea to take the journey?
Other third house topics:
- Neighbors and our local neighborhood.
- Travel made on a regular basis.
- Letters, rumors, reports, messages, communications generally.
- Contracts, deeds,.
- Speeches and debates.
- An afflicted 3rd House in relationship questions suggests communication problems or mental incompatibility. In business questions it indicates contractual problems. Mars in H3 and indicate arguments, Saturn an inability to communicate.